Thursday, April 12, 2007

Grudem... Not so trying after all.

Bible Doctrine



Never in a million years would I have guessed that one day I would pick up a book like this and read it because I was eager to learn more about the deep theological concepts that define the faith that leads and guides the course of my life.

HOWEVER, God has a sense of humor! This past week I did just that. I missed studying this type of thing. And I miss the friends I used to sit around for hours on end discussing such topics with. But, surprisingly, I am enjoying being reminded afresh of how faith in Jesus does make sense, and it is sound!

I have always been much more of a feeler than a thinker. I am emotionally connected to the truth of the gospel. Things have to be logical for me to accept them, but I don't spend hours pouring over the tiny details looking for flaws in the very solid argument. I take God at His word. That seems reasonable enough to me. I see how He works in my life and the lives of those I know who trust Him, as well as in the world of people who wont even acknowledge He exists, and I am assured over and over again that there is truth in what He says.

But once in a while I get curious and want to go a bit further into understanding the theology, so for the 1st time in 3 years, I have picked up this book by choice, and I am working through portions of it. I have to say its a pretty good read. You should check it out sometime. (But never b/c you have to read the whole thing in 9 months and write papers on what you think line 7 on page 322 has to do with eating ice cream after dinner!)

OK so maybe I exaggerated a little there at the end... but you get the point....

1 comment:

OddBabble said...

Good to have you back blogging again Jords! And great thing to blog about!
lots of love to you
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx