Sunday, January 04, 2015

Why Hello there, friends... Its been quite a while...


It is nearly impossible to believe its been 8 years since I wrote my last entry.  As I decided to reenter the online world of Thinking Out Loud, my initial plan was to start from scratch.  However, I soon realized that I really like both my blog's name and url... and I was pretty impressed with my 8 years ago self for being so clever!  SO, I gave my page a little (or, dare a say BIG) face lift, and I am going to push forward, continuing to explore this planet and all its complex realities while attempting to keep from of mind the reality that no matter where I find myself, we are all, Far From Home.  



And with that summary of how I got from there to here clearly in place, I proceed.
Obviously, quite a lot in life has changed in the 8 years since I last blogged.  Yet oddly enough, quite a lot is much the same.  Life is so funny that way. I am told aprox 3-4 times each year that one of the things people love most about me is that I say what other people are thinking... The older I get the more I realize that's not always a good thing, and therefore I am constantly in an internal battle to balance speaking freely and tempering that every so forceful urge at points to say whatever comes into my brain.  I am coming to terms with the fact that this will likely be a life long battle of mine... my own cross to bear if I can say, and I am learning to be OK with that.  But, as with almost everything in life, some people love that about me, and others (usually my own mother included) could do without that pesky little trait... and truth be known, the older I get, the more comfortable I am becoming with the validity of both those perspectives.  :)  We all have areas we can grow, right?   
But, being that that trait does tend to come more naturally to me than most, my hope is that in some way I will be able to connect with the many others of you in the world who often find yourself holding minority opinions, and not quite sure how to engage those points in the world.  

I, am not a people pleaser.  I never have been.  Its not how I am wired.  I spent a large part of my life feeling like this was a bad thing and I was less valued or important because I saw things differently.  And, truth be known it will likely take a lifetime of walking with the Lord and doing life with grace filled and loving people to undo that damage completely.  So, know this, precious readers, whoever you are: 


This is a safe place to learn.  To grow.  To ask questions!  And to be loved not because of, but in spite of yourself.  I will never be ok with rudeness or disrespect.  But thoughtful and challenging questions or perspectives...that friends, is how we all become better at this game of life.  I do believe there are absolute truths in the world.  But I believe there are far fewer of those than many others would like me to think.  I think there is LOTS of grey, and I believe that most people really are doing the best they can. 


I am excited to start this journey with you.  You are welcome here.  Grab a coffee.  Read.  Ask. Know you are valued and loved. 


I look forward to getting to know you.  








No comments: